Saturday, October 4, 2014

A Dream: October 4, 2014

Context: Last night, I read a review of a T.V. comedy series on the AV club which included Martin Short in its cast. Also, last night my husband told me a small detail about his childhood (that he liked to watch game shows when he was home sick from school and liked a particular show which he found on YouTube and we watched it).

The Dream: I don't know where I was, but the sense I got of the setting was that it was generally supposed to be my home (though it was not where I am living now). I was married, but not to my husband. In fact, I had somehow forgotten that I was married to a younger version of Martin Short. He looked like he did while dressed as a human in the T.V. mini-series "Merlin". That is, he had very blue eyes and blond hair (though shorter than in the show) - about as "dashing" as Martin Short can look.

I don't remember much about the dream except the end in which I realize that I don't know my "husband" (Martin Short) very well at all because I spend all of my time thinking about and learning about the man who is my real husband now. I feel that I've done my dream husband a disservice by not devoting attention to him and focusing on my real husband (though in the dream, he is not my husband at all - just a man who I'm drawn irresistibly to). Despite this realization and a momentary commitment (expressed internally to myself - not explicitly to anyone else in the dream), the moment that my real husband comes into the dream, I go over to him immediately and start cuddling with him.

Analysis: I believe that Martin Short entered the dream only as a placeholder based on my reading his name so very recently in the aforementioned article. My (real) husband in now way ever suffers any sort of neglect. In fact, if he suffers anything, it is an overabundance of attention and I know him extremely well. In fact, I frequently ask him to tell me something about himself that I don't already know. I'm not asking for secrets (we have no secrets from one another), but just some tidbit from his past that he may not have thought to mention.

I believe there are two possible paths of interpretation. One is that some part of me felt that I didn't really know my husband as thoroughly as I thought because he told me something new. This seems a somewhat shallow interpretation, but it is possible as a partial one. The deeper interpretation is that there is something that I'm not exploring in my life or digging too deeply in because I am too distracted by something that I find so much more attractive.

The main problem with the second interpretation is that I'm currently at a complete loss as to what such an issue might be. The distraction could very well be my husband. At present, much of our lives revolve around his interests rather than mine for various reasons. That being said, I don't have any interests which I am neglecting or putting off in favor of attending to his. I write. I read. I learn new things. I recently started volunteering at the local library to be an ESL partner for non-native speakers. I pursue what I want to pursue and never feel that my interests compete with his. I do accept that it is possible that my unconscious mind knows and wants to convey something that my conscious mind does not, but I could not pinpoint what that might be at this time.

Interpretation Confidence Scale Rating: Not knowing husband well interpretation: 4 (I have no sense that I don't deeply know my husband. It would have to be an idea which lacks depth and is built entirely around the recent nature of the new information.) Something about my life that I'm not getting into deeply in favor of attending to my husband's interests: 7

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are welcome, but only if they are offered with respect and demonstrate that you have actually read what was said. I won't tolerate insults, straw man arguments, or bad attitude. Pretend you're talking to your boss to help put you in the right frame of mind. You can disagree, but be nice about it. Comments are moderated. There will be a delay in publishing them. Any comment that violates my rules won't be published.