Saturday, September 13, 2014

Commenting On The Elephant

Chances are that this blog will be about things that you aren't interested in or will disagree with. The reason for this is that the thing you're most interested in talking about looks back at you each day when you glance in the mirror and I'm not living in your skin. I'd like anyone who is reading to keep this in mind before posting a comment of any sort.

In fact, I'd also like to further ask a little favor of anyone who stumbles upon this blog and takes a shine to it. And, I'm talking about those who find it shiny in a way which pisses them off as well as makes them happy - especially about those who find the bile climbing to the back of their throats. The favor I'd like to ask is that you find the old story about the three blind men and the elephant and take some time to understand what it means. Just because you're one of the blind men holding the trunk and I'm the one touching the leg, it doesn't make me wrong and you right. If this is something that any comment you make reflects a lack of understanding of, I'll delete your comment and it will go unpublished. OK, I'm not so much "asking a favor" as "demanding" (or, to put it more kindly, "requesting"). My sandbox here. My rules. Go play in your own sandbox if that wads you undies.

I'd also like to emphasize reading skills when you read what I say. One of the issues I've had with blogs in the past is that people seem to almost willfully misunderstand so that they can provide a counterpoint. Either that, or those commenters really were so stupid and lacking in literacy capability that they couldn't follow my points. No, it's not my writing. I'm a good writer and I'm frankly sick of this tendency to assume certain things are implied or being said so that one can prattle on about something I never asserted. If you do this, I'm going to assume you scored poorly in school, and that you need to find a blog which is more suitable to your reading comprehension level. I'm not going to argue with straw men or tangential arguments. 

Beyond asking that you understand that truth isn't a static and absolute concept, I will also ask that you be respectful. In other blogs that I have written (and bid adieu to), I've suggested that people write comments as if they were talking to their boss. You can disagree, but pretend that you have something at stake if you make me mad. If your imagination is so limited that you can't manage this, then I will kick your comment to the curb. Everyone's life is hard and we all experience frustration and have that urge that makes us want to punch a wall. I am not your punching wall, or bag, or the dog you kick, or whatever. I'm a person with feelings just like you. In fact, chances are that I have even more and deeper ones than you do because I'm pretty sensitive, but I'm not going to run away and cry if you are mean to me. I'm going to make sure you've wasted your time commenting by putting you in the spam bucket forever.

As my mother said when she first met my husband, "Orderly Mind takes no guff." You have to remember that I am not here to put up with your crap. If you can manage to understand what I've said here, we'll get along just fine and I will welcome your words.

Now that I've got that off of my chest, let the games begin!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are welcome, but only if they are offered with respect and demonstrate that you have actually read what was said. I won't tolerate insults, straw man arguments, or bad attitude. Pretend you're talking to your boss to help put you in the right frame of mind. You can disagree, but be nice about it. Comments are moderated. There will be a delay in publishing them. Any comment that violates my rules won't be published.